Saturday, August 23, 2008

Yogurtland: The New Frontier in Fro-Yo

OK, maybe Yogurtland isn't so much a New York City secret anymore, but I am on a crusade against Pinkberry until they lower their prices. So be prepared for Frozen Yogurt That Is Not Pinkberry entries. I am convinced that my endorsements of other plain, tart yogurt around the city will get a medium original at Pinkberry under $6 again.

Yogurtland, unlike That Other Frozen Yogurt Place That Shall Not Be Named, only has one location in the city that sits in the heart of Greenwich Village (267 Bleecker Street, to be exact). The greatest part about Yogurtland is that it's serve-self. This not only lets you get creative with flavors and toppings, but it will also give you a new appreciation for employees who can operate soft-serve machines without making a mess.

There are over ten flavors at Yogurtland, including things like New York Cheesecake, Espresso, Banana Tart, and my personal favorite: Taro (a tropical plant, it seems?). I also prefer their Plain Tart frozen yogurt over You Know Who's, but this is primarily because it has an icier texture (which I find most people actually do not like - be warned, creamy fro-yo lovers).

The toppings also kick You Know Who's butt by having a greater variety of fresh fruit AND stuff that is really bad for you. Why not pair those blueberries and sliced mangos with some gummi bears and Butterfingers?

You'll find yourself pleasantly surprised when you checkout. Thirty-nine cents an ounce is even more awesome than it sounds, and creations that look (and taste) like they should be the $6+ PBerry standard end up being much less than you imagined (sometimes).

2 comments:

Ariel said...

Mmmm Yogurtland! I want some...

I have spent all day in the heat of Bombay, under a totally cloudy sky. Yet, I have an intense and painful sunburn. I also have 8+ mosquito bites. I am filthy and sweaty.

Oh right, and it's my 22nd birthday.

For the first time since I've left, I really badly want to come home.

jessandbrandon said...

Can we go there together? it sounds lovely... and inexpensive is something i can handle.