Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Death of Coney Island

From Curbed.com:

Coney's Astroland to Die on Sunday: "Barring a last-minute change, Astroland will actually die on Sunday. Owner Carol Albert, who sold to developer Joe Sitt for $30 million two years ago, has told employees the amusement park will really walk the plank on Sunday."

This comes a few days after sharing my theory that maybe Coney Island has just been threatening its demise to increase popularity (hey it's worked for the past two summers, right?). Well, everybody makes mistakes.

Last year, I went to one of the Municipal Art Society's Coney Island programs to hear about the plans straight from the horse's mouth. And quite honestly, they didn't sound so bad. They even promised to preserve the three main landmarks and keep development far enough away from shore. They were also so nice. And from Brooklyn (strategic!).

But the more I really think about it, the sadder I get that these plans are being carried through. Why do I like Coney Island? It's because when I go there, I feel like I'm being transported into a different era of New York. And really, that whole dilapidated/falling apart look that Coney Island has gives it its charm. When the new rides come in, and the new real estate adds value to the land, will Coney be able to maintain its wholly-different-from-New-York character? Will it still be a place for the lower middle/middle class of New York? I suppose we'll find out soon. Let's just hope it's not a complete wasteland come next summer.

picture from one of my summer 2007 trips to coney

2 comments:

Ariel said...

Major sad face! I love the old, dilapidated, please-don't-let-me-die-on-this-ride Coney.

I'll be holding a moment of silence in its memory.

Emmi said...

1. "everybody makes mistakes"? Here I thought you were always right (see your previous entries). Eff.

2. My first Coney Island was so magical (with you). <3