Saturday, September 13, 2008

Coffee Pick of the Month

This pick is actually a coffee recipe. One of my friends reminded me of the article in the New York Times from last summer that had a formula for making your own iced coffee at home. Well, last night I put it together and this morning I drank it for the first time and it was magical. I realize fall is just around the corner, but there are a still a good few weeks left where drinking iced coffee remains socially acceptable.

Here you go:

INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup ground coffee (medium-coarse grind is best)
Milk (optional)
[Sugar is also optional]


INSTRUCTIONS
1. In a jar [I used a thermos and it worked just fine], stir together coffee and 1 1/2 cups water. Cover and let rest at room temperature overnight or 12 hours.

2. Strain twice through a coffee filter, a fine-mesh sieve or a sieve lined with cheesecloth. In a tall glass filled with ice, mix equal parts coffee concentrate and water, or to taste. If desired, add milk.

Very simple, very yummy. Provided that you use good coffee, of course.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

This friend of yours must have good taste.

(Even if she doesn't actually like coffee.)